Associate General Counsel
We’re on the search for an accomplished legal expert to help drive and expand our legal, compliance, risk and regulatory infrastructure. In this role, you’ll be reporting to Lemonade’s General Counsel. You’ll become a trusted partner of core teams across the company, including finance, claims, underwriting, growth and expansion, compliance, risk management and business development.
We’re looking for an experienced business thinker who is adept at a broad range of skills, from negotiating complex vendor agreements to owning multi-state and multinational compliance requirements, all in a game-changing hypergrowth startup environment.
- 3-5 years of law practice, plus 2-4 years experience as a law firm corporate associate
- Superior research, writing and communication skills
- Fast learner, both within and outside of your accustomed domain of expertise
- Bachelor and law degrees from excellent schools
- Bar admission in good standing (New York, California preferred)
- Experience with technology, hypergrowth, consumer products/services, early stage companies strongly preferred
- In-house corporate law experience required
- Comfortable with and adaptable to new technology and business/legal tools
- Seasoned negotiator
- Comfort working across time zones and cultures
- Highly available, dependable hard worker
- Experience with a public company and/or hypergrowth tech startup
- Property/casualty insurance experience or designation (e.g. CPCU)
- Manage required regulatory filings nationwide. Coordinate with finance, underwriting, claims and General Counsel to proactively maintain regulatory compliance
- Monitor regulatory and legislative developments nationwide and prepare internal alerts and policies
- Administer company, producer and adjuster licenses nationwide
- Support teams responding to enquiries and civil investigative demands from governmental agencies; support business teams responding to strategic challenges and threats
- Negotiate resolution of various issues with state governmental officials
- Draft contract templates for scalability; review and revise business unit contracts, including NDAs, vendor, marketing, reinsurance, TPA and intercompany agreements
- Assist business units and customer experience team to achieve regulatory and legal compliance; assist units and teams to achieve KPIs
- Support group Boards of Directors and committees
Founded by Shai Wininger (founder of Fiverr) and Daniel Schreiber (previously at Powermat and Sandisk), Lemonade is considered one of the most promising growth stage startups in the US, and leads the category of Insurance Disruption as the world’s first technology and bot driven insurance company. We’re backed by SoftBank (the largest shareholder in Uber and world’s largest VC), Google Ventures, Sequoia, and more.
We believe in doing things differently, pushing boundaries, and questioning everything. We’re non-conformist, anti-corporate Makers who want to create impact while contributing to society.
Lemonade is a Certified B-Corp, which means that we incorporate our values of doing good into everything we do – from our business model to our office culture.